With the holiday season in full swing, the joyous, fun, and memorable events of Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year, and more are here! The expression of gratitude is central to the festivities that the holiday season brings. While we never cease to appreciate our loved ones, it’s time that we take the celebrations up a notch and give back to our community.
Did you know that helping others is not only good for society but can also improve your health? Being helpful and gracious can strengthen your immune system, reduce stress, and increase the ‘feel-good’ neurotransmitters in your brain.
This holiday season, as you bake Christmas cookies, trim or decorate the tree, and buy gifts for loved ones, take some time out to give back. Making time for a good deed can revitalize your spirit and bring you immense joy, peace, and satisfaction.
Are you confused about how to help others this holiday season? Here are a few things that you can do –
1. You can bake cookies or make casseroles with your kids, also involving them in the process and stressing the importance of giving back from the very beginning. You can distribute the homemade cookies and food to your local fire department, police station, or to anyone who cannot afford to have a holiday feast for themselves.
2. Ever heard the phrase, ‘Charity begins at home?’ Giving back to society does not require you to empty your pockets. You can find a lot of things to giveaway just by cleaning your home, wardrobe, and your kid’s toy box. Donate that jacket that you have not worn since the past two winters. It will serve a better purpose by keeping the homeless warm instead of sitting in your wardrobe.
3. While some of us like to stay alone, no one wants to be lonely. This holiday season, visit a nursing home. You would be surprised to see that the gift of your company is invaluable. Take your family along and help bring the holiday cheer in the lives of people staying at your nearby nursing home.
4. Do you know what else there is to be thankful for? Your amazing four-legged friends! The joy of giving back is not limited to humans alone. Animals, too, could use some help. Visit your neighborhood animal shelter and take some treats along. If you have kids, they will surely love this activity as well.
5. Staying away from one’s family can be difficult, especially during the holiday season. Help deployed military members to maintain their holiday spirit by writing them letters or sending meaningful gifts. A little thank you note for always keeping us safe goes a long way!
There are various other ways of giving back to your society and community this holiday season. You just have to know how you can help bring a smile to other people’s faces. For your loved ones too, make holidays meaningful by giving them the gift of security with Skyline Insurance Agency.